Scottish Welfare Fund

You may be able to get a Crisis Grant if you need help in an emergency such as:

  • There's a fire or flood at home and you do not have insurance,

  • You've lost money,

  • You're facing a gap in your normal income because of a redundancy or change at work,

  • An unexpected crisis happens,

  • You're a victim of domestic abuse and you need help with things like moving away from an abuser,

  • You're a grandparent or other relative who has taken over caring for a child, and you're waiting on a transfer of benefits.

You may be able to get a Community Care Grant if you qualify and:

  • You're leaving care or imprisonment and need help to start a settled home,

  • You've been homeless, or living an unsettled life, and need help to start a settled home,

  • You need support to stay out of care,

  • You're caring for someone who's been released from prison or a young offender's institution,

  • You're experiencing great pressure and need help to keep a settled home,

  • You're escaping domestic abuse,

  • A child's health is at risk.

Applications for assistance from the Scottish Welfare Fund are made directly to the local authority within the area you live. In order to make an application for assistance please select the name of your local authority from the list below and follow the instruction provided for your local authority.

We have heard reports that some local authorities have been incorrectly rejecting applications for persons who are not in receipt of social security benefits. You do not need to be in receipt of benefits to apply for emergency assistance in a crisis. Please let us know if you experience this difficulty.